Thursday, August 6, 2009

S is for Shepherd.

S is for Shepherd

Tricia Lowenfield

Pumpkins Pansies Bunnies and Bears Press



S is for Shepherd is modeled after "The New England Primer", a modern version of it you could say. The book goes through the entire alphabet using Biblical words or phrases for each letter. There is also a corresponding verse to go with the letter. There is also a picture on each page that goes with the rest of the "lesson".



The artwork in this book is wonderful. Each picture looks as if it were drawn by a child. This is my oldest daughters favorite part of this book. "The pictures look like they were drawn by little kids." is what she told me when I asked her what she liked about the book. My youngest daughter particularly liked the pictures of David and Mary.



I really enjoy reading this book to my kids, I really do. It reinforces so many great lessons at one time; letters, word association and Bible verses. The only issue that I have is that the book is handwritten. This makes it hard for older children who haven't learned handwriting to read alone, my six and a half year old had a little trouble. HOWEVER, I think it will be great practice when she IS learning handwriting and has to learn to read it.



There is also a great CD that comes with this book. There are 13 songs that are meant to reinforce the lessons in the book. The music is very upbeat, engaging and fun. A great CD to let the children listen to any time.



I would highly recommend this book to anyone with preschool aged children, or even children working on handwriting skills. This book would be great for homeschooling as well!


1 comment:

  1. Her covers are fabulous! I'm about to let a bunch of other writers know about your site, so hang on for the ride!

    ReplyDelete